Controlling a chemical – and its fumes
Also known as muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid is used to acidize petroleum wells, remove scales from boilers, aid in ore reduction and serve as a chemical intermediate, among other applications.
This pungent liquid is a strong, highly corrosive acid, and it presents serious storage challenges:
- Hydrochloric acid has an extremely low pH, making it highly corrosive.
- The chemical creates toxic fumes that can deteriorate equipment – and these fumes can be fatal to employees. To control the chemical’s fumes, the tank’s venting system must be exact.
- Tank maintenance can also be an issue because of fuming. Entering the tank must be avoided at all costs, and part replacement must be minimized.
By creating a strong, corrosion-resistant tank system that ties into a scrubber system, all of these issues can be addressed.
|Chemical||Resin Type||Specific Gravity Rating||Fitting Material||Gasket Material||Bolt Material|
|Hydrochloric Acid ≤ 37%||XLPE with OR-1000™||1.9||PVC||EPDM||C-276|
|Hydrochloric Acid ≤ 37%||XLPE||1.9||PVC||EPDM||C-276|
XLPE with OR-1000™ = 5 Year Warranty / XLPE = 3 Year Warranty
IMFO® construction eliminates the need to enter the tank for cleaning, helping employees avoid HCl’s toxic fumes.
High-density crosslinked polyethylene (XLPE) ensures the strength of the tank.
Recommended System Components
IMFO® FittingsFittings: IMFO® system is recommended.
The B.O.S.S. Fitting®Fittings: B.O.S.S. fitting® is also recommended to prevent leaks.
PTFE Expansion JointPlumbing: requires flexible connections with fittings on lower third of sidewall to accomodate contraction and expansion, and reduce vibration stress on the tank.
PolyScrub™ and PolyScrub Plus™Individually designed to support the reduction of dangerous fumes into the environment.
IMFO® Vertical Flat Bottom:
- 200–13,650 gallons
- 1.9 spg rating
Standard Vertical Flat Bottom:
- 30–13,650 gallons
- 1.9 spg rating
SAFE-Tank® Double Wall Tank:
- 55–8,700 gallons
- 1.9 spg rating for primary tank
- Spg ratings for secondary tanks ≥ 3,000 gallons may be equal to or 1 less spg than primary tank.
- All other tank sizes must equal primary tank spg rating.
Recommend SAFE-Tank® secondary XLPE as shown above
- PPC secondary containment basin
- Other secondary containment suitable for hydrochloric acid, of adequate size for use
Sidewall: Recommend 3˝ maximum B.O.S.S. fitting®
Dome: No restrictions
Plumbing to the tank
- Required use of flexible connections with fittings on lower third of sidewall
- Allows for lateral and vertical expansion and contraction of the tank
- Reduces pump and piping vibration stress on the tank
- Expansion joints must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Axial Compression ≥ .67˝
- Axial Extension ≥ 0.67˝
- Lateral Deflection ≥ 0.51
- Angular Deflection ≥ 14°
- Torsional Rotation ≥ 4°
Foundation and restraints
- PPC IMFO® tank pad or smooth concrete, asphalt or steel foundation designed to accommodate IMFO®, SAFE-Tank® or vertical tank
- No restraint or ladder attachment bands circumscribing the tank are allowed. Cable restraint systems must pass cables over the top of the tank.
Product should not exceed 100°F at delivery or during storage to maintain ASTM D1998 design parameters.
Fume-tight manway cover to manage release of chemical gases
Restraint systems for wind and seismic, level gauges, ladders, heating pads, insulation and engineering stamp
XLPE with OR-1000™ = 5 Year Warranty
XLPE = 3 Year Warranty