An aggressive oxidizer that presents a major storage challenge
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is used in a variety of applications, particularly in disinfecting drinking water and wastewater.
When storing this chemical, three factors must be considered:
- UV can degrade sodium hypochlorite, so special precautions must be taken to reduce this effect.
- Sodium hypochlorite typically contains transition metals such as nickel, iron and copper, which can build up in a storage tank and create off-gassing.
- “Hypo” is a potent oxidizer, so all materials in the chemical’s storage tank must be up to the task.
By addressing all three of these issues, this caustic chemical can be contained in a more secure and effective manner, with a tank system that meets NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for chemical storage.
The Poly Processing Hypo System
Poly Processing’s Sodium Hypochlorite Storage Systems are specifically designed for containment of this challenging chemical. By using carbon black, white or gray compound XLPE resin, UV degradation of the chemical can be dramatically reduced. Mastic coatings and insulation are other ways to reduce UV’s effect on the chemical.
To prevent the potential buildup of transition metals in the tank, Poly has developed the IMFO® system. This special design allows for full drainage of the tank, which can greatly increase the half-life of the chemical*.
Poly’s OR-1000™ system is another key component of the Hypo System. OR-1000™ is the result of our exclusive rotomolding process, which creates a seamless bond between an inner surface of medium-density polyethylene and an outer surface of high-density crosslinked polyethylene.
OR-1000™ allows four times the antioxidant strength of a normal polyethylene. In any application where OR-1000™ is used, all wetted surfaces – including covering the face of the IMFO® drain – are completely covered by the material, eliminating any opportunity for a chemical attack on the structural portion of the tank.
For additional information on storing sodium hypochlorite, including recommended storage tanks and components, download our Sodium Hypochlorite Guide below. Or, download the Tank Designs & Specifications Guide to see all of our chemical storage products.
* Natural tanks are available for indoor use.
* On-site generation (.08%) max size : 4000 gallons without engineering review.